Thick Mussel Soup
|Onion||1 Large, finely chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), finely chopped|
|Dry white wine||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Water||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Mussels||2 Quart, cooked in 2 1/2 cups water|
|Black pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
|Dry mustard||To Taste|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon, coarsely chopped (To Garnish)|
|Croutons||4 (Heart-Shaped, To Garnish)|
1) In a saucepan, place the onion and garlic in white wine, water and strained mussel liquor.
2) Cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender.
3) Season the mixture to taste with salt, pepper, and mustard.
4) In a bowl, prepare a roux by combining the butter and flour.
5) Add this mixture to the soup and stir well to thicken the soup.
6) Place the mussels in their shells. Reheat soup to warm up the shells.
7) In a soup bowl, spoon the soup and garnish with parsley and croutons. Sprinkle a pinch of turmeric, if desired.