Favorite Cheese Souffle
|Natural cheddar cheese||8 Ounce, chilled, cut to fit food chute|
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dry mustard||2 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||5 , slightly beaten|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a food processor bowl attach the shredding disk.
2. Add the chilled cheese cubes and pulse until finely shredded.
3. Grease a 2-quart souffle dish or casserole dish.
4. In medium saucepan melt butter over low heat.
5. Stir in flour and mustard and sauté until well blended with the butter to form a smooth paste.
6. Gradually add the milk, stirring vigorously to get a smooth lump free sauce.
7. Cook the sauce, stirring constantly, until it thickens and begins to bubble.
8. Add shredded cheese cook, stirring until cheese melts and blends into the sauce.
9. Take the pan off the heat.
10. Lightly beat the egg yolks and add to the cheese sauce, stirring until thoroughly blended.
11. Return to heat and cook for 2 minutes, stirring until the yolks are cooked.
12. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
13. In large bowl, combine egg whites and cream of tartar.
14. Use a wire whisk or an egg beater to whisk them until stiff such soft peaks are formed.
15. When the sauce is cooled, lighly fold the egg whites into it, using a spatula.
16. Turn the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
17. Bake in the preheated oven for about 50 minutes until fluffy and lightly browned.
18. Take the soufflé straight from the oven to the table.