|Unsalted butter||3 Tablespoon, softened|
|Sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Unbleached all purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Cake flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Ground blanched almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Pre-heat the oven to 425°F.
2. Place the oven rack in the middle of the oven.
3. Take 2 baking sheets and grease them well, then sprinkle lightly with water, and shake off the extra water.
4. In a bowl, thoroughly cream the butter and sugar together with a hand-held or regular electric mixer. Do not use a food processor for this.
5. Add the egg whites, vanilla, and salt and go on beating until the mixture is light and fluffy.
6. Next, add the flours and blend everything well.
7. On the baking sheets, drop 1/2 teaspoons of the batter at a time, spacing well apart, since the cookies will spread.
8. With the back of a small spoon, spread the batter into 2 1/2-inch circles so thin that you can see the baking sheet through them.
9. Sprinkle each circle with the ground almonds.
10. In the oven, bake the sheets one by one, until the edges are dark brown, for about 5 to 6 minutes.
11. Take them out of the oven and let them stand for 30 seconds.
12. With a metal spatula, then turn the cookies over quickly.
13. Place them back in the oven and bake for 2 more minutes.
14. Then, working fast, place each cookie, almond side up around a fat rolling pin or an empty wine bottle so that the cookie hardens into a curve.
15. When the curved cookies have cooled enough to hold their shape, place them on a rack until completely cool.
16. Serve them once they’re cooled or stack them and store in an airtight container.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 983 Calories from Fat 385
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 44 g67.1%
Saturated Fat 23.2 g115.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 96.8 mg32.3%
Sodium 406.5 mg16.9%
Total Carbohydrates 126 g42.1%
Dietary Fiber 5 g20.1%
Sugars 68 g
Protein 21 g42.7%
Vitamin A 22.5% Vitamin C
Calcium 4.5% Iron 12.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet