Aubergine Au Parmesan
|Aubergine||12 Ounce, sliced (1 Whole, 350 Gram)|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Hard boiled eggs||3 , sliced|
|Gruyere cheese||4 Ounce, thinly sliced (100 Gram)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Large, peeled, finely chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), peeled and crushed|
|Tomatoes/1 can 400 gram / 14 ounce tomatoes||1 Pound, skinned, seeded and chopped, with 150 milliliter /1/4 pint water (450 Gram)|
|Chopped tomatoes/1 can, 400 gram / 14 ounce tomatoes||1 Pound, skinned, seeded and chopped with 150 milliliter / 1/4 pint water|
|Water||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Sugar||1 1⁄4 Pinch (Good Pinch)|
1. Place the sliced aubergine on a wire tray and sprinkle lightly with salt. Allow to drain for at least 30 minutes.
2. To make the sauce, heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and garlic and cook until soft but not coloured. Add the tomatoes and the water or the canned tomatoes and their juice, salt, pepper, bouquet garni and sugar. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the sauce thickens. Remove the bouquet garni. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
3. Wash the aubergine slices and dry them on paper towels. Heat the oil in a frying pan. Dip the aubergine slices into the egg, add to the pan and fry until soft and golden brown. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels.
4. In a deep serving dish, arrange alternate layers of sliced hard-boiled egg, aubergine and sliced cheese. Pour the tomato sauce over and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top.
5. Place in a preheated oven and cook for 15-20 minutes until heated through and golden brown on top.