Strawberry Chantilly Torte
|Cake flour||1 Cup (16 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Eggs||5 , separated|
|Almond extract||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Toasted slivered almonds||5 Ounce|
|Whipping cream||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Apricot brandy||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Bananas||2 , peeled and sliced|
|Nectarines||2 Cup (32 tbs), peeled and sliced|
|Toasted coconut||1 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees.
2) Grease the bottoms of 2 layer-cake pans of 9x1 ½-inces. Dust lightly with flour. Tap out the excess, if any.
3) Onto a wax paper, sift the flour, salt and baking powder.
4) In a medium-sized bowl, cream the butter or margarine with ½ cup of sugar till the mixture is fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, till well blended. Add the vanilla and milk and beat well.
5) Fold the mixture into the flour mix till well blended and then spread the concoction evenly in the prepared pans.
6) In a large bowl, beat the egg whites with 12 teaspoon of almond extract till the mixture is foamy-white and double in volume. Sprinkle in ¾ cup of the remainder of sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating constantly till the sugar has dissolved completely and the meringue stands in firm peaks.
7) Over the batter in the prepared pans, spread the mixture evenly and sprinkle almonds all over.
8) Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or till the meringue has browned lightly.
9) For 5 minutes, cool the layers in pans on wire racks. Use a knife to loosen around the edges and turn each layer out onto the palm of the hand. Place on the racks, keeping the meringue side up, and cool completely.
10) Rinse the strawberries, hull them and quarter.
11) In a medium-sized bowl, beat the cream with the remaining sugar and ½ teaspoon of almond extract till the mixture is stiff.
12) On a large serving plate, place 1 cake layer and top with ½ of the whipped cream and strawberries. Repeat the process with the remaining cream and strawberries.
13) Serve the cake after cutting it into wedges.
Calories 926 Calories from Fat 413
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 46 g70.4%
Saturated Fat 23.1 g115.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 245.8 mg81.9%
Sodium 182.6 mg7.6%
Total Carbohydrates 81 g27.1%
Dietary Fiber 7.7 g30.7%
Sugars 55.5 g
Protein 12 g24.4%
Vitamin A 13.2% Vitamin C 128.1%
Calcium 17.9% Iron 11.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet