Bateaux Saint Andre
|Pate sucree/Sweet crust pastry||1⁄3|
|Cooking apples||1⁄2 Pound|
|Confectioners sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Defrost the pastry if frozen.
2. Peel, core, and dice the apples.
3. Preheat the oven to 375°F
4. Place the apples in a heavy bottomed saucepan and add sugar and 1 tablespoon water to them.
5. Place on a medium low flame and sauté the apples until soft mushy and almost pureed.
6. Take pan off the heat and allow the mixture to cool.
7. In the mean time, dust a clean work surface with flour and roll out the pastry ¼ inch thick and cut out to line 6 boat-shaped molds. Reserve the trimmings.
8. Press the pastry lightly into shape.
9. Set the molds on a baking sheet, prick the pastry with a fork, and bake blind in the preheated oven for 5-7 minutes until pastry is golden and dry.
10. Remove from the oven and let cool.
11. In the meantime, place egg white in a clean dry bowl and whisk until frothy then add sugar, beating until it is stiff and stands in soft peaks.
12. When cooled, spoon the apple puree into the pastry cases.
13. Spread a thin layer of meringue over each boat.
14. Roll out pastry trimmings and cut into short narrow strips.
15. Place 2 strips across each boat.
16. Bake the pastry boats on middle level of preheated oven, for about 10 minutes until meringue is lightly browned.
17. Let the pastries cool slightly then remove from the mold.
18. Serve the pastries warm with custard sauce if you like.