Duck with oranges
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Duck||4 Pound, trussed (2 Kilogram)|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), crushed|
|Streaky bacon||4 Ounce, cut into thin strips|
|Dry white wine||1 Pint (600 Milliliter)|
|Chicken stock||7 Fluid Ounce (200 Milliliter)|
|Orange||2 , juiced and rind pared|
|Wine vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Oranges||2 , cut into thin rings (To Garnish)|
1. In a deep flameproof casserole heat 25 g / 1 oz of the butter with the oil, fry the duck over medium heat such that it is golden brown all over and transfer to a bowl aside.
2. In the casserole fry the garlic and strips of bacon and fry for 1-2 minutes.
3. Then pour in the wine and stock, let it boil and then simmer for a few minutes, such that it is reduced.
4. To the casserole add the bouquet garni, salt and pepper and orange juice and lower the heat.
5. Let it simmer gently for 1 1/2 hours such that the duck is cooked and baste occasionally during cooking.
6. Then with a sharp knife, make fine strips out of the pared orange.
7. Fill a small saucepan with boiling water, plunge the orange strips, let it boil for 5 minutes, remove and drain.
8. Over a kitchen paper dry it thoroughly and set aside.
9. Using a fork mash the remaining butter such that it softens and mix in the flour such that smooth.
10. Take a serving dish place the cooked duck from the casserole, cut into serving size pieces and keep warm.
11. Boil the cooking liquid in the casserole for about 10 minutes, such that reduced and well flavored.
12. Add the vinegar, strips of orange rind, little pieces of the butter and flour paste with frequent stirring, such that the sauce thickens.
13. Carve the duck and serve with the orange sauce with a garnish of orange rings.
Calories 575 Calories from Fat 351
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 39 g60.3%
Saturated Fat 14.2 g70.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 166 mg55.3%
Sodium 358.4 mg14.9%
Total Carbohydrates 11 g3.7%
Dietary Fiber 1.6 g6.4%
Sugars 6.6 g
Protein 35 g69.1%
Vitamin A 8.9% Vitamin C 64.5%
Calcium 4.7% Iron 43.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet