Holiday French Toast
|Sourdough bread||6 Medium, cut into thick slices, halved (4 - 6 Thick Slices - Italian Panetonne Bread used)|
|For the custard mix|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1 % Milk used)|
|Zest of orange||1 Medium|
|Orange juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Juice of one Orange)|
|For the bacon|
|Sliced bacon||1 Pound, thick sliced (Oven baked - Use as needed)|
|Powdered sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Maple syrup||1 Tablespoon|
1. Cut fairly thick slices of the Italian Panetonne bread or sourdough bread. Then further cut each slice into half.
2. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
3. In a jar, make a custard by adding eggs, milk, cinnamon, vanilla and the zest of one orange.
4. Cut the orange in half, and juice it right into the jar.
5. Add sugar and whisk all the ingredients in the jar until well combined.
6. Take a 13" X 9" pan, pour the prepared custard into it.
7. Take each bread slice, place it int he custard, flip it over and place it on the other side, so as to coat both sides of the slices with the custard. Let the slices soak in the custard for about 5 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, to prepare the bacon, take an un-greased rimmed baking sheet, lay the thick slices of bacon side by side on it.
9. Place the baking sheet with the bacon in the preheated oven and cook for 10 - 15 minutes.
10. Heat griddle or large pan on medium heat (about 325 - 350 F). When hot, take the butter and melt a bit of it (just as much as you would require) onto the pan, making sure it's about the same size & shape of your bread.
11. Place a piece of bread on top of the butter. Repeat for each piece of bread. Cook until underside is well-browned, then use a spatula to lift the bread up, melt a bit more butter underneath & turn the bread upside down to cook the other side.
12. While the toast is browning, (5 minutes since the bacon is in the oven) using tongs, flip the bacon so that it cooks evenly on both sides. Put the pan back into the oven for another 5 - 7 minutes, flipping sides again after 5 minutes.
13. When French Toast is browned on both sides, remove from pan and place on a plate. Place in warm oven until ready to serve.
14. Serve with a dusting of powdered sugar, drizzled with warm maple syrup, alongside a couple of oven baked bacon.
To drain the excess oil off the cooked bacon, take a piece of foil and some paper towels and create a "blotter" for the bacon. Place a few slices of bacon on the paper towel, place some more paper towel on top and continue so that bacon is sandwiched by paper towel.
Then wrap the whole thing up in foil and place is warm oven until ready to serve.
2. Rimmed Baking Sheet
3. Large Electric Griddle (You can also use a pan over the stove)
4. A pair of tongs
Calories 494 Calories from Fat 205
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g36.1%
Saturated Fat 9.1 g45.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 227 mg75.7%
Sodium 1024.1 mg42.7%
Total Carbohydrates 49 g16.3%
Dietary Fiber 2.2 g8.7%
Sugars 14.4 g
Protein 22 g43.4%
Vitamin A 7.8% Vitamin C 24.5%
Calcium 9.8% Iron 17.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet