French Country Chicken
|For the mushroom and garlic mixture|
|Sliced bacon||12 Ounce, chopped (Thick bacon)|
|Mushrooms||2 Pound, sliced (Crimini Mushrooms)|
|Garlic cloves||2 Medium|
|For the vegetables with the chicken|
|Whole chicken||6 Pound|
|Carrots||1 Pound, peeled, thickly sliced|
|Red potatoes||1 1⁄2 Pound, cut in fourths|
|Onions||2 Medium, quartered|
|For the gravy|
|Organic chicken broth||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dry white wine||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Kosher salt||To Taste|
|For the slurry|
|Cold water/Broth||2 Tablespoon|
1. Wash, rinse and pat dry the whole chicken.
2. Put into a large roasting pan and let sit for 30 minutes before you begin preparing the rest of the ingredients.
3. Preheat the oven to 425 F.
4. In a saute pan over medium-high heat, cook the sliced bacon until browned, but not crisp.
5. Add mushrooms and garlic. Cook about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are lightly browned. Once done, set the pan aside.
6. Into the roasting pan with the chicken, place the carrots, red potatoes and onions.
7. Add mushroom mixture, organic chicken stock, dry white wine and season with salt and pepper.
8. Bake in the preheated oven in the lowest rack for about 60 - 90 minutes, basting every 30 minutes.
9. Remove chicken into another plate and remove the vegetables into a casserole with a lid to keep it warm.
10. Pour drippings from pan into measuring cup. Siphon off fat with basting bulb.
11. Return the de-fatted drippings to the roasting pan, kept over two burners of the stove, turned on to a medium-high heat.
12. Make slurry of water and cornstarch and add to drippings. Stir constantly until gravy thickens. Once done, pour into a gravy bowl and set aside.
13. Carve the chicken and cut the leg and thigh separate, slice the breast into nice pieces and the chicken is ready to serve.
14. Serve the chicken with the gravy and the roasted vegetables.
2. Basting bulb
Calories 985 Calories from Fat 512
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 57 g87.8%
Saturated Fat 16.6 g83.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 266.4 mg88.8%
Sodium 622.3 mg25.9%
Total Carbohydrates 33 g11.1%
Dietary Fiber 4.8 g19.3%
Sugars 7.9 g
Protein 73 g145.8%
Vitamin A 199% Vitamin C 52.4%
Calcium 9.6% Iron 26.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet