Crepes Filled With Lemon Souffle (part 1): Sweet World #17
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Brandy||1 Tablespoon (or vanilla essence- 1 teaspoon)|
|Butter||3 Tablespoon, melted (divided, 1 tablespoon for crepes and 2 tablespoons for greasing)|
|For lemon souffle|
|Sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Cold water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Lemons||3 , zested and juiced|
|Eggs||5 , seperated|
For the crepes
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with cold water and set aside.
3. In a blender, put together eggs, milk and brandy, and process until well blended.
4. Add flour, sugar, butter and salt and mix well. Allow the batter to rest for 40 minutes.
5. Place 8" to 10" non-stick pan on medium heat, lightly butter it with a paper towel dipped in 2 tablespoons of butter.
6. Spoon about ¼ cup of batter into the pan and immediately turn the pan to spread and coat the batter to the bottom.
7. Allow the crepe to set for about 2 minutes or until the edges are brown. Slowly loosen the edges with spatula and flip the crepe.
8. Cook for 20 seconds more, remove the crepe and stack on a plate.
9. Repeat the process to make more crepes, until all the batter is used up.
10. Once all the crepes are made, cool them, cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate until fill is ready.
For the souffle
12. In a saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter and add cornstach mixture, 2/3 cups of sugar, salt, lemon zest and juice, stir and bring to boil.
13. Stir continuously and let it cook until the mixture thickens.
14. Take the pan off the heat and whisk in the egg yolks, then put the pan back on the heat and cook for 2 minutes.
15. Transfer the mixture into a bowl and let it cool.
16. In another bowl, beat the egg whites using a stand mixer until stiff and fold it in cooled lemon mixture.
17. Grease the bottom of a large casserole dish with butter.
18. Place a crepe on a clean working surface, glossy side down. Put 2 to 3 tablespoons of soufflé in the centre and fold each side over the top.
17. Arrange the filled crepe in the casserole dish seam side down. Repeat the process to fill the remaining crepes.
19. Sprinkle remaining sugar over the filled crepes and bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until the crepes get lightly browned.
20. Serve hot immediately.