|Cabbage leaves||8 Large|
|Onion||1 , peeled and sliced|
|Carrot||1 , peeled and sliced|
|Bacon (streaky) rashers||2 , rinded and diced|
|Stock||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), peeled and crushed|
|Onion||1 Large, peeled and finely chopped|
|Onion||1 Large, peeled, finely chopped|
|Lean minced beef||12 Ounce (350 Gram)|
|Tomatoes||14 Ounce, drained, juice reserved (1 Can, 400 Grams)|
|Green peppers/Red peppers||3 Ounce, cored, seeded and diced (75 Gram)|
|Canned tomatoes||14 Ounce, drained, juice reserved (400 Gram)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Grated nutmeg||1 Pinch|
|Fresh white breadcrumbs||3 Tablespoon|
1. Place the cabbage leaves in a pan of boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold running water. Dry each leaf and cut out the thick stalk.
2. To make the stuffing, heat the oil in a pan, add the garlic and onion and cook until soft but not coloured. Add the mince and continue cooking over a high heat until the meat has changed colour.
3. Add the peppers, tomatoes, salt, pepper and nutmeg and simmer gently for about 30 minutes until the mince is tender and the mixture is quite dry. Stir in the breadcrumbs. Adjust seasoning.
4. Place a portion of the mixture on each cabbage leaf and fold up to form a parcel. Tie with thin string.
5. Place the sliced onion, carrot and bacon in the bottom of a casserole. Place the cabbage on top.
6. Heat the stock and reserved tomato juice together and pour over the cabbage. Add salt, pepper and bay leaf. Cover with greaseproof paper and a lid. Place in a preheated oven and cook for 45 minutes-1 hour.
7. Remove the cabbage parcels, drain well on paper towels and remove string. Arrange in a serving dish.
8. Remove the bay leaf and strain the cooking liquor into a clean pan. Dissolve the arrowroot with a little water, add to the pan and bring to the boil, stirring. Adjust seasoning. Pour over the cabbage and serve hot.
Calories 912 Calories from Fat 225
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 25 g39%
Saturated Fat 8.3 g41.6%
Trans Fat 0.6 g
Cholesterol 60.4 mg20.1%
Sodium 900.5 mg37.5%
Total Carbohydrates 143 g47.6%
Dietary Fiber 52.6 g210.4%
Sugars 70.1 g
Protein 51 g102.4%
Vitamin A 118.7% Vitamin C 1189.4%
Calcium 85.2% Iron 71.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet