|Milk||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Small, peeled|
|Carrot||1 Small, peeled|
|Celery stalk||1⁄2 Small|
1. In a saucepan, bring milk, quartered onion, thickly sliced carrot and thickly sliced celery along with mace, parsley, cloves and peppercorns slowly to a boil with constant stirring.
2. Take the saucepan off heat, cover, let it stand for about 30 minutes and strain.
3. in a clean, small, heavy saucepan melt butter and cook with flour gently, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and gradually add reserved flavored milk, stirring well after each addition.
5. With a wooden spoon stir and cook such that the sauce boils and thickens.
6. Let it simmer for 3-4 minutes.
7. To serve, season with salt and pepper as per taste.