|Canned sauerkraut||3 1⁄3 Pound (2 Cans, 1 Pound, 11 Ounce Each)|
|Ham hocks||3 Pound (6 Pieces)|
|Dry white wine||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium, peeled|
|Knockwurst||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Red apple||1 , quartered, cored and sliced|
|Red apple||1 , quartered, cored, and sliced|
|New potatoes||1 1⁄4 Pound (Use 12 In Number)|
1. In a large bowl allow sauerkraut to soak for 5 minutes. Then drain well.
2. In a large heat proof casserole or dutch oven place the ham hocks, adding the drained sauerkraut, wine and bay leaf.
3. Press cloves into onion and furthermore press onion down into sauerkraut.
4. Heat to boiling point then reduce the heat . Cover and simmer very slowly 1 1/2 hours, tossing with a fork once or twice, or until ham hocks are almost tender.
5. Score knockwurst with a sharp knife; place on sauerkraut; simmer 20 minutes longer.
6. Add apple slices, pushing them down into sauerkraut and cook 10 minutes longer.
7. To prepare the potatoes, place in a medium size sauce pan, cook and cover for 20 minutes. Insert knife to see if the interiors are soft.
8. On a large deep platter arrange the choucroute with potatoes.
9. Serve with whole-wheat bread and mustard.
Calories 1144 Calories from Fat 719
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 80 g122.9%
Saturated Fat 25.7 g128.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 178.1 mg59.4%
Sodium 3206.5 mg133.6%
Total Carbohydrates 47 g15.6%
Dietary Fiber 10.6 g42.5%
Sugars 13.9 g
Protein 50 g100.4%
Vitamin A 1.7% Vitamin C 80.7%
Calcium 12.2% Iron 27.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet