Burgundy Pot Roast
|Boneless bottom round roast/Rolled rump roast||5 Pound, trimmed of fat|
|Sliced onion||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed|
|Burgundy wine/Other dry red wine||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Canned beef broth||10 1⁄2 Ounce (1 Can)|
1) Preheat hot oven at 475°.
2) In a stainless steel or glass bowl put meat in a bowl large enough to hold the meat and onions.
3) In another bowl mix onions, garlic, herbs, peppercorns, salt, and wine.
4) Pour mixture over it.
5) Cover meat and refrigerate for 10 to 12 hours turning occasionally.
6) With a bulb-type baste skim fat from broth.
7) Take off meat from marinade and pat dry.
8) Take out onions from marinade.
9) In a shallow roasting pan place meat on rack.
10) Insert meat thermometer with bulb in the center of the roast.
11) Roast meat in oven, basting with reserved marinade.
12) Decrease heat to 400°.
13) Add onions to the pan and roast for 40 to 45 minutes basting with marinade.
14) Remove meat to warm platter when thermometer reaches 140° to 150°.
15) Let stand for 15 minutes.
16) Pour drippings from roasting pan into a container.
17) Put container in freezer to cool quickly till fat rises on surface.
18) Skim the fat from top.
19) On top of range heat pan drippings to boiling and boil 1 minute.
20) In another bowl mix broth and flour.
21) Pour mixture over hot drippings.
22) Cook and stir constantly till sauce thickens.
23) Serve hot.