|Egg whites||8 (Unbeaten)|
|Dried apricots||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Almond extract||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cold heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Confectioner' s sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Almond extract||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
1. In large bowl of electric mixer, let egg whites warm to room temperature. This should take about 1 hour.
2. In 3-1/2 cups water, simmer apricots, covered, about 1/2 hour, or until very tender. Then press apricots, with cooking liquid, through sieve or food mill, or mix in blender, to make puree. To 2 cups apricot puree, add 1/4 teaspoon almond extract; refrigerate.
3. About 1 hour before dessert time, preheat oven to 325F.
4. Butter 2-quart casserole; then sprinkle with a little granulated sugar.
5. Beat egg whites until foamy throughout; add cream of tartar and salt; continue beating to form soft peaks.
6. Gradually add 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating after each addition until whites form stiff peaks.
7. Gently fold apricot puree into whites until thoroughly combined; turn into prepared casserole; set in pan of hot water. Bake 45 minutes.
8. At dessert time, whip cream until stiff; add sugar and 1/8 teaspoon almond extract.
9. Decorate with icing sugar and whipped cream