|Egg whites||8 (Unbeaten)|
|Dried apricots||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Almond extract||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cold heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Confectioner' s sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Almond extract||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
1. In large bowl of electric mixer, let egg whites warm to room temperature. This should take about 1 hour.
2. In 3-1/2 cups water, simmer apricots, covered, about 1/2 hour, or until very tender. Then press apricots, with cooking liquid, through sieve or food mill, or mix in blender, to make puree. To 2 cups apricot puree, add 1/4 teaspoon almond extract; refrigerate.
3. About 1 hour before dessert time, preheat oven to 325F.
4. Butter 2-quart casserole; then sprinkle with a little granulated sugar.
5. Beat egg whites until foamy throughout; add cream of tartar and salt; continue beating to form soft peaks.
6. Gradually add 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating after each addition until whites form stiff peaks.
7. Gently fold apricot puree into whites until thoroughly combined; turn into prepared casserole; set in pan of hot water. Bake 45 minutes.
8. At dessert time, whip cream until stiff; add sugar and 1/8 teaspoon almond extract.
9. Decorate with icing sugar and whipped cream
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2491 Calories from Fat 894
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 102 g156.5%
Saturated Fat 63 g315%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 361.1 mg120.4%
Sodium 727.5 mg30.3%
Total Carbohydrates 380 g126.6%
Dietary Fiber 4.7 g19%
Sugars 365.4 g
Protein 33 g65.1%
Vitamin A 124.9% Vitamin C 3.5%
Calcium 21.5% Iron 11.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet