Breast of Chicken in Madeira Sauce
|Long grain white rice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Chicken breasts||3 Pound|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Shallots||2 , sliced|
|Mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound, washed cut in half lengthwise|
|Dried thyme leaves||1 Teaspoon|
|Dry madeira wine||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Light cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Natural swiss cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), grated|
|Parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Cook rice with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 3-1/3 cups water as package label directs.
3. Wipe chicken breasts with damp paper towels.
4. With sharp knife cut breasts in half carefully remove skin and bone, keeping chicken breast intact.
5. In large skillet in hot butter cook shallots for several minutes.
6. Add chicken breasts and brown well over medium heat, about 10 minutes on each side.
7. Add mushrooms, thyme, 1-1/2 teaspoons salt and pepper and cook for about 3 minutes.
8. Turn rice into a lightly buttered, 2-quart shallow casserole.
9. Arrange chicken breasts, overlapping slightly, down center of casserole and arrange mushrooms around chicken.
10. In same skillet, pour wine into drippings and stir to dissolve browned bits in pan.
11. Dissolve cornstarch in 2 tablespoons light cream.
12. Add heavy cream, rest of light cream and cornstarch to wine mixture and bring just to boiling stirring.
13. Remove from heat and add cheese.
14. Spoon half of sauce over chicken and bake in oven 10 to 12 minutes.
15. Run under broiler several minutes to brown slightly.
16. Sprinkle with parsley reheat rest of sauce and serve along with casserole.