Classic Onion Soup in Beef Stock
|Butter||2 Ounce (50 Grams)|
|Spanish onions||1 Pound, thickly sliced (500 Grams)|
|Plain flour||1 Ounce (25 Grams)|
|Beef stock||2 Pint (1.2 Liters)|
|Dijon mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|French bread slices||6|
|Gruyere cheese||3 Ounce, grated (75 Grams)|
1. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan melt butter and cook onions over moderate heat with constant stirring such that the onion is soft and pale gold.
2. Stir for 1 minute sprinkling little flour, add the stock gradually and bring it to a boil stirring constantly.
3. Season as per taste, lower the heat, let it simmer for about 20-25 minutes and optionally add cognac.
4. On a grill, grill the bread lightly, sprinkle grated gruyere over it and keep aside.
5. Add the soup into heat proof bowls with a slice of cheese-topped bread on top of the soup in each bowl.
6. Place the bowls under hot grill such that the cheese starts bubbling and serve hot.
Calories 317 Calories from Fat 117
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g20.5%
Saturated Fat 7.8 g39.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 35.9 mg12%
Sodium 694.6 mg28.9%
Total Carbohydrates 35 g11.8%
Dietary Fiber 2.4 g9.5%
Sugars 5.2 g
Protein 13 g26.6%
Vitamin A 7.4% Vitamin C 9.5%
Calcium 19.4% Iron 11.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet