Aubergines A La Portugaise
|Aubergines||16 Ounce, cut in half lengthways (2 In Number Of 225 Grams Each)|
|Onion||1 Medium, peeled and finely chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), peeled and crushed|
|Tomatoes||8 Ounce, skinned, seeded and chopped (225 Grams)|
|Seasoned flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Fresh white breadcrumbs||3 Tablespoon|
|Finely chopped fresh parsley/Basil||1 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1|
|Butter||2 Tablespoon (For Greasing)|
1. Using a sharp knife, remove the stalks and cut round between the flesh and the skin of each aubergine half, being careful not to cut the skin. Score through the flesh in a diamond pattern, sprinkle lightly with salt and place upside down on a wire tray. Allow to drain for at least 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a small pan, add the onion and garlic and cook until soft but not coloured. Add the tomatoes and cook gently for 10-15 minutes.
3. Wash the aubergines and dry them on paper towels. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan. Dip the cut sides of the aubergines in seasoned flour, add to the pan and fry gently on both sides until tender right through. Remove from the pan.
4. Carefully scrape out the flesh from each aubergine half with a spoon, being careful not to damage the skin. Place the flesh in a bowl and mix with the tomato mixture and sufficient breadcrumbs to give a firm consistency. Add parsley, salt and pepper.
5. Fill the aubergine skins with the mixture and place in a buttered ovenproof dish. Sprinkle the tops with a few breadcrumbs and a little oil.
6. Place under a preheated hot grill or in a preheated oven and cook for about 20 minutes until heated through and browned.