|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), cut in half|
|Softened butter||3 Ounce (75 Gram)|
|Waxy potatoes||2 Pound, peeled and thinly sliced (1 Kilogram)|
|Freshly grated nutmeg||To Taste|
|Hot milk||12 Fluid Ounce (350 Milliliter)|
|Single cream||8 Fluid Ounce (250 Milliliter)|
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4.
2) Inside a large earthenware baking dish, apply the cut garlic clove and thick layer of the soft butter.
3) Arrange a layer of the sliced potatoes and sprinkle evenly with the grated nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. Repeat the layering and seasoning with rest of the potatoes.
4) Blend the cream and milk together, then cover the potatoes with the milk mixture and dot with rest of the butter on the top
5) Bake in the preheated oven for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until tender. Raise the oven temperature to 200°C (400°F), Gas Mark 6 during the last 15 minutes, until lightly browned.
6) Serve immediately in nice plates.