Leeks A La Nicoise
|Young leeks||2 Pound|
|Olive oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Garlic clove||1 Large|
|Fresh chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
1) Off the leeks, cut the roots and most of the green tops so that they are all equal in length.
2) Wash the leeks properly under cold running water. Dry on paper towels.
3) Peel the tomatoes and seed them. Coarsely chop.
4) In a flameproof casserole placed over medium heat, put the oil and heat it. Put in the leeks side by side.
5) Saute the leeks till they are lightly colored underneath and then turn them over. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
6) With a lid, cover the casserole and cook the leeks gently over low heat for about 10 minutes or till the thick white part has softened.
7) Remove the leeks and keep them warm.
8) To the casserole, add the crushed garlic, tomatoes and parsley and cook quickly for about 3 minutes, continuously stirring.
9) Taste, and if required, adjust the seasoning. With lemon juice, sharpen the taste.
10) Serve hot or cold, as preferred, after putting the leeks back in the sauce.