French Style Green Beans In Mustard Sauce
|Green beans||1 1⁄2 Pound (5 Cups)|
|Cream/Undiluted evaporated milk||1 Cup (16 tbs) (3/4 Cup + 1/4 Cup)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dry mustard||2 Tablespoon|
|Egg yolk||1 , slightly beaten|
|Cider vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Wash green beans, break off ends and French (cut-lengthwise into fine strips).
2. Cook 15 to 20 min., or until tender. (Or use two 9-oz. pkgs. frozen French-style green beans. Break apart gently with a fork or spoon while cooking. Follow directions on package for time and amount of water.)
3. Drain immediately and, if necessary, keep beans warm.
4. While beans are cooking, prepare sauce.
5. For Mustard Sauce—Scald undiluted evaporated milk in top of double boiler.
6. Meanwhile, sift together sugar, dry mustard, cornstarch and salt into a small saucepan.
7. Add cream or undiluted evaporated milk, stirring well.
8. Gradually add scalded milk; stir constantly.
9. Wash double boiler top to remove scum.
10. Stirring gently and constantly, bring rapidly to boiling over direct heat and cook for 3 min. Pour into double boiler top and place over simmering water. Cover and cook 10 to 12 min., stirring occasionally. Remove cover and vigorously stir about 3 tablespoons of this hot mixture into egg yolk.
11. Immediately blend into mixture in double boiler. Cook over simmering water 3 to 5 min. Stir slowly and keep mixture cooking evenly. Remove from heat. Add cider vinegar gradually.
12. Put beans into hot serving dish. Pour sauce over beans and serve immediately.