Miniature Babas Au Rum
|Warm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (105 To 115°F)|
|Active dry yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Sifted all-purpose flour||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), softened (1/2 Stick)|
|For rum syrup|
|Sugar||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Unpeeled orange||1 Medium, sliced crosswise|
|Lemon||1⁄2 , sliced crosswise (Unpeeled)|
|Light rum||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Apricot glaze||1 Tablespoon|
|Red candied cherries||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Angelica||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Lightly grease 16 (2 1/2-inch) baking cups. Check temperature of warm water with thermometer.
2. Sprinkle yeast over water in small bowl of electric mixer, stirring until dissolved.
3. Add 2 tablespoons sugar, the salt, eggs and 1 1/4 cups flour . At medium speed, beat 4 minutes, or until smooth, scraping side of bowl and guiding mixture into beaters with rubber spatula.
4. Add butter; beat 2 minutes, or until very well blended.
5. At low speed, beat in rest of flour; beat until smooth - about 2 minutes. Batter will be thick.
6. Turn batter into prepared muffin cups, using 1 rounded tablespoon batter for each cup; cover with towel.
7. Let rise in warm place (85°F), free from drafts, 1 hour, or until babas have risen to rims of cups - more than double in bulk.
8. Meanwhile, make Rum Syrup: In medium saucepan, combine sugar with water; bring to boiling, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Boil, uncovered, 10 minutes.
9. Reduce heat. Add orange and lemon slices; simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add rum.
10. Preheat oven to 375°F Bake babas 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden-brown.
11. Turn out babas.
12. Pour hot syrup over babas; let stand, basting occasionally, at least 1 hour, or until all syrup is absorbed. (Turn babas upside down in syrup several times.)
13. Meanwhile, make Apricot Glaze. Brush tops and sides with glaze. Decorate with candied cherries and angelica.
14. Serve slightly warm, with sweetened whipped cream, if desired.