Souffle Yams In Orange Shells
|Sweet potatoes/Yams / 1 can of 40 ounce, yams in syrup, drained||4 Pound (Use 6 Large)|
|Boiling water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Navel oranges||5 Large|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1 Stick)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Tablespoon|
|Raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Wash yams. Place in large saucepan; cover with boiling water; add salt.
2. Bring to boiling; reduce heat, and simmer, covered, 35 to 40 minutes, or until tender.
3. Drain yams; let cool. Peel and slice. (If using canned yams, omit Steps 1 and 2.)
4. Cut oranges in half, and squeeze juice; save juice. Reserve shells for serving.
5. Preheat oven to 350°F.
6. In large bowl, combine yams, sugar, butter and vanilla. Mash with potato masher, or beat with portable electric mixer, until smooth.
7. Add enough orange juice (about 1/2 cup) to make a light mixture (not runny); stir in raisins.
8. Mound high in reserved orange shells (3/4 cup per serving). Swirl tops with fork. Place in baking pan.
9. Bake 30 minutes, or until hot. (If desired, place marshmallows on top, and place under broiler, 6 inches from heat, just until marshmallows are lightly browned.)
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3746 Calories from Fat 826
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 94 g144.7%
Saturated Fat 58.3 g291.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 241.9 mg80.6%
Sodium 2993.5 mg124.7%
Total Carbohydrates 713 g237.5%
Dietary Fiber 79.6 g318.4%
Sugars 365.3 g
Protein 41 g82.5%
Vitamin A 5252.8% Vitamin C 1053.5%
Calcium 106.2% Iron 78.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet