Gateau Saint Honore
|Flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||4 Tablespoon|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Heavy cream||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Vanilla sugar||4 Tablespoon|
|Candied cherries||1 Tablespoon, candied|
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Take a mixing bowl and sift pinch of salt, and flour onto it. Rub it with half of the butter and lard until the mixture becomes crumbly.
3. Make stiff dough with cold water.
4. Roll out the short pastry over a floured surface and roll it out in circle which is 6 inches in diameter and trim the edges using the plate.
5. Arrange the pastry over a greased baking sheet.
6. Sift remaining flour with pinch of salt.
7. Add the remaining butter with ½ cup water in the saucepan and boil it.
8. When done remove the pan from heat and add flour to it at once. And beat it until smooth.
9. Let this choux pastry cool. In the meanwhile whisk eggs and blend it with a few drops of vanilla extract.
10. Add this pastry onto a pastry bag which is fitted with a large plain tube.
11. Pipe the pastry in small puffs of about 1 inch diameter around the edge of the short pastry.
12. Add the remaining choux pastry onto same-sized puffs which are arranged on a different greased baking sheet.
13. Bake the pastries for about 20 minutes at 400° F until they become golden brown or the cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
14. When done remove the pastries from oven and cool them.
15. Take a small pan and heat sugar with 3 tbsp cold water until the sugar gets dissolved.
16. Boil the mixture and remove it from heat when it begins to thicken or turn to pale golden color.
17. Dunk every single choux puff in this caramel and position it on the top of the puffs on the pastry base in double layers.
18. Whip the cream until it goes stiff, then add vanilla sugar and stir it well. Add this mixture to the center of the gateau.
19. Serve after garnishing with strips of angelica, whole candied cherries.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3596 Calories from Fat 2320
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 263 g404.8%
Saturated Fat 155 g774.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1026.6 mg342.2%
Sodium 724.8 mg30.2%
Total Carbohydrates 279 g93%
Dietary Fiber 5.1 g20.3%
Sugars 121.7 g
Protein 36 g72%
Vitamin A 176% Vitamin C 4.8%
Calcium 38.3% Iron 54.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet