Boeuf A La Mode En Gelee
|Top round/Rump of beef||3 Pound|
|Pork fatback||1⁄4 Pound|
|Calf's foot/Pig's foot||1|
|Dry red wine||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Beef drippings||2 Tablespoon|
|Beef stock/Water||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
1) Lard the beef with the pork fat. Chop the calf s or pig's foot into pieces.
2) Alternately, cut the pork fat into narrow strips to fit into the eye of a larding needle. Keep it long so that it can be threaded through the meat.
3) Pull fat strips through the meat. Trim off at the edges.
4) Peel garlic and make small strips.
5) Peel and finely chop the shallots.
6) Preheat oven at 300°F
7) Peel onions but keep whole.
8) Wash and scrape the carrots. Halve lengthwise.
9) In a deep bowl place the meat and pour wine over it.
10) Marinate covered for 4 hours. Turn the meat repeatedly.
11) With a knife push garlic strips into the meat.
12) Sprinkle salt and pepper on it.
13) Boil a large saucepan of salted water. Blanch the calf's or pig's foot pieces for 10 minutes.
14) Drain the pieces in a colander. Keep aside.
15) In a heavy-bottomed deep pan melt half the drippings over high heat till meat turns brown.
16) Reduce heat and pour in brandy over the meat.
17) As it warms a little, set alight.
18) When flame dies down, add calf's or pig's foot pieces.
19) Add shallots and bay leaves to the pan.
20) In a separate pan heat stock or water. Mix with wine and pour over meat.
21) Boil the liquid and cover tightly with both foil and the lid.
22) Place at the center of a oven and bake for about 3 hours.
23) In a small pan heat the remaining drippings and brown vegetables lightly.
24) Add to meat after 3 hours' cooking. Simmer for a further 1-1 1/2 hours.
25) Place meat into a dish. Drain out the vegetables.
26) After the liquid cools, strain through cheesecloth into a bowl.
27) Leave overnight in refrigerator to firm the jelly.
28) Next day, dip a spoon in hot water and carefully scrape the surface fat from the jelly.
29) Cut meat into thin slices.
30) Place into a serving dish with carrots and onions.
31) In a saucepan melt jelly over low heat. Pour over meat and vegetables.
32) Keep aside in cool place to allow jelly to set.
33) Serve the jellied beef with variety of salads like crisp green salad tossed in a sharp French dressing, a tomato salad, and a cold potato salad.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4934 Calories from Fat 2105
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 234 g360.1%
Saturated Fat 85.1 g425.3%
Trans Fat 0.9 g
Cholesterol 897.6 mg299.2%
Sodium 2377.5 mg99.1%
Total Carbohydrates 288 g95.9%
Dietary Fiber 49.6 g198.3%
Sugars 112.4 g
Protein 318 g635.7%
Vitamin A 2055% Vitamin C 301.3%
Calcium 77.2% Iron 54.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet