French Cream Coconut Pie
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cornstarch||4 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Milk||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Butter||4 2⁄3 Tablespoon|
|9 inch baked pie crust||1|
|Coconut/1/2 fresh coconut grated||1⁄2 Can (5 oz)|
|Whipping cream||1⁄2 Pint, whipped|
1. Collect and measure all the required ingredients.
2. In a small saucepan, heat the 1 pint milk to scalding point.
3. Prepare a double boiler by placing a saucepan filled with 3 inches of water over a medium low flame.
4. In a bowl that fits over the double boiler, combine the sugar, corn starch and egg yolks and cold milk.
5. Lightly mix with a wooden spoon to blend well.
6. Gradually pour the hot milk, stirring continuously to prevent the egg from coagulating.
7. Place the bowl over the double boiler and cook the mixture for about 15 minutes until it is thick like custard and coats the back of the spoon.
8. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the butter until melted.
9. Stir in the vanilla.
10. When custard is slightly cooled, pour into the baked pie shell.
11. Sprinkle the coconut over the filling.
12. Refrigerate to chill the pie.
13. Top with whipped cream.
14. Slice into wedges and serve chilled.