French Apple Flan
|Plain flour||4 Ounce|
|Caster sugar||2 Ounce|
|Butter||2 Ounce (At Room Temperature)|
|Frozen unsweetened apple slices||1 1⁄4 Pound, thawed|
|Melted butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Apricot jam||1 Tablespoon, sieved|
1. On a work surface, sift the flour and salt together
2. Into this mixture, make a well in the centre and add in sugar, butter and egg yolks and, with the fingertips of one hand, pinch and work them together until well blended.
3. Now, slowly work in all the flour and knead into a smooth dough.
4. Store this paste in a cool place for at least an hour.
5. In a saucepan, cook three quarter a pound of apples with about one level tablespoon sugar and a little water until soft and thick.
6. Sieve this sauce and allow it to cool
7. Roll out this paste securely and line a loose-bottomed, French fluted flan tin 7 ¾” in diameter with it.
8. With a fork, prick it all over and bake blind in the oven at 375°F for fifteen minutes or so.
9. Remove the flan from the oven and fill the apple puree in it
10. On top of the puree, arrange the remaining apple slices in overlapping circles.
11. Brush it with melted butter and place it back into the oven to cook at 400°F until the apples are tinged brown.
12. You may need to use foil to protect the edges of the pastry
13. Remove the pastry from the oven and top it with warm, sieved apricot jam.
14. Allow it to cool down, and sprinkle icing sugar,if desired.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1591 Calories from Fat 604
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 69 g105.7%
Saturated Fat 40.3 g201.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 524.3 mg174.8%
Sodium 283.8 mg11.8%
Total Carbohydrates 238 g79.2%
Dietary Fiber 16.3 g65.3%
Sugars 126 g
Protein 14 g27.2%
Vitamin A 50.6% Vitamin C 43.5%
Calcium 10.1% Iron 10.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet