Crunchy French Fried Onion Rings
|Spanish onion||1 Large, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick|
|Lard/Shortening / cooking oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Deep Frying)|
|Sifted flour||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Milk||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
1. Separate onion slices into rings.
2. Place onion rings on a paper towel and pat to dry well.
3. In a deep fat fryer or a wok, heat fat.
4. In the mean while, in a mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
5. Gradually whisk in milk to make a smooth batter.
6. Check the fat temperature by using a thermometer, or drop an onion ring into it. The temperature should be about 375° F or the onion should surface within 2 seconds.
7. Dip onion rings, a few at a time, into batter, dripping off the excess.
8. Carefully drop batter dipped onions into the fat and fry for 1-2 minutes, flipping them with the slotted spoon, until evenly golden brown.
9. Remove and drain on a paper toweling lined baking tray.
10. Place the fried onion rings in a warm oven set at 250° F to keep warm.
11. Fry the remaining onions.
12. Serve the onion rings immediately hot and crispy with a sauce as an appetizer or as a side dish to steaks, burgers or grills.