|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cooking apples||1 1⁄2 Pound, peeled, cored and sliced|
|Light cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Calvados/Hard cider||1 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees.
2) Truss the pheasant as it would be done for roasting.
3) In a skillet, heat the butter and brown the pheasant properly on all sides.
4) In a deep casserole, put half of the apple slices, pour some butter on top and place the cooked pheasant over it. Arrange the remaining apple slices around the pheasant.
5) Pour the cream and remaining butter on top of the pheasant and sprinkle salt and pepper. Cover the casserole tightly and cook for 1 to 1 ¼ hours.
6) Place the pheasant on a serving dish after removing the trussing strings. Serve hot with sauce on the side made by adding calvados to the contents of the casserole. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Good accompaniments to the dish can be broccoli spears and a tossed salad.
Calories 749 Calories from Fat 452
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 51 g78.4%
Saturated Fat 25.7 g128.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 235.8 mg78.6%
Sodium 95 mg4%
Total Carbohydrates 25 g8.2%
Dietary Fiber 4.1 g16.3%
Sugars 18 g
Protein 47 g93.5%
Vitamin A 29.1% Vitamin C 31%
Calcium 6.2% Iron 14%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet