French Classic Bechamel Sauce
|Milk||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter)|
|Carrot||2 Inch (1 Piece)|
|Butter||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Flour||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
1. To flavor the milk for the béchamel, in a heavy bottomed saucepan, combine milk, bay leaf, peppercorns, mace, carrot and onion.
2. Place the pan on a medium flame and scald the milk without boiling.
3. Strain the milk into a measuring jar and allow it to cool to room temperature.
4. In a medium heavy bottomed saucepan, melt the butter over a medium flame.
5. When the butter has melted and has started foaming, add flour and stir into the butter until blended.
6. Keep sautéing the flour in the butter for 1 minute.
7. Taking pan off the heat or reducing the flame to low, gradually pour in the milk and stir simultaneously with a wooden spoon or whisk.
8. Once all the milk has been incorporated and blended with the flour-butter mixture, return pan to the flame or increase the heat.
9. Stirring continuously, allow the sauce to simmer for 3 minutes until it is thick and sauce consistency, coating the back of the spoon.
10. Use the sauce as required.
11. If storing in the refrigerator, allow the sauce to cool to room temperature. Dot the surface of the sauce with a little butter to prevent skin formation.
Calories 80 Calories from Fat 47
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g8.1%
Saturated Fat 3.2 g16%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 14.2 mg4.7%
Sodium 83.9 mg3.5%
Total Carbohydrates 7 g2.3%
Dietary Fiber 0.37 g1.5%
Sugars 2.5 g
Protein 2 g3.9%
Vitamin A 6.7% Vitamin C 1.3%
Calcium 5.1% Iron 1.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet