Basic Cheese Souffle
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Coarsely grated cheddar cheese/3/4 cup swiss or gruyere cheese, coarsely grated||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2) In a saucepan, melt the butter over a medium heat, stir in the flour and blend well.
3) Gently stir in the milk and cook until thickened. Then stir in the cheese and cook until the cheese melts.
4) Lightly beat the yolks, blend with a little hot sauce and return to pan, stir and cook for 1-2 minutes over a gentle heat.
5) Turn off the heat, stir in the salt and pepper then place a wax paper over the surface of sauce and allow to cool.
6) Stiffly beat the egg whites stir about 1/4 cup into the sauce, then fold in rest of the whites.
7) Spoon the mixture in an ungreased 5-cup souffle dish and bake without the lid for 35-40 minutes until brown and puffy.
8) Serve immediately with the mushroom or tomato sauce.