French Onion Tart
|Wholemeal flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Onions||2 Pound, thinly sliced|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Grated nutmeg||1 Pinch|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Heavy cream/Sour cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 375°F, Gas Mark 5.
2) For preparing the pastry, take a bowl and put the flour in it and add the butter or margarine.
3) Mix the flour vigorously until the mixture look like breadcrumbs.
4) Stir in enough water to make soft dough and allow chilling.
5) In the meantime, start making the filling by covering and cooking the onions gently in butter or margarine and oil for about 30 minutes or till they are very translucent but not brown.
6) Even out the solid dough and line an 8 inch (20 cm.) flan tin.
7) Add salt and pepper to the onions along with the nutmeg.
8) Cool and then whisk in the eggs and cream.
9) Transfer the onion mixture into the flan case and bake in the hot oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until set.
10) Allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving.