French Halles Onion Soup
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Tepid water/Consomme||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Coarse salt||1 Teaspoon|
|Bread slice||6 , toasted|
1) Peel the onions and cut in two. Make super thin and even slices out of the onion halves.
2) Use a large heavy skillet, cast-iron if possible to heat up butter.
3) Add onions and sauté to golden brown by stirring with a wooden spoon.
4) Sprinkle flour over the onions and keep on stirring until the flour turns light golden.
5) Pour in water or consommé and season with salt.
6) Bring the liquid to a boil by frequent stirring.
7) Reduce heat to low and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
8) Add scalded milk to the soup and adjust seasoning.
9) Meanwhile, toast the bread.
10) Lay one slice of toasted bread in each plate. Sprinkle freshly ground pepper on top and pour the soup over the bread.
11) Serve warm with a bowl of grated cheese in side.