Floating Islands Maman Blanc
|Full fat milk||2 Pint (1 1/4 Liter)|
|Vanilla pods||2 , split|
|Egg whites||8 Medium (Organic Or Free Range)|
|Castor sugar||10 Ounce|
|Egg yolks||8 Medium (Organic Or Free Range)|
|Castor sugar||3 Ounce (85 Gram)|
|Castor sugar||5 Ounce (140 Gram)|
1. To flavor milk with vanilla, in a saucepan, heat the milk until it reaches scalding point. Scrape vanilla seeds into the milk with the point of a sharp knife and add the split vanilla pods.
2. Whisk to blend and bring milk to a boil.
3. Reduce the flame to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. In a clean dry grease free bowl, whisk the egg whites and sugar with an electric beater until stiff.
5. Using a large spoon, scoop meringue and immerse in simmering milk for 5 minutes to poach, turning carefully to poach other side.
6. Gently lift the poached meringue and place on a baking tray.
7. Do the same for remaining meringue to make 6 poached meringues.
8. Set meringue aside to cool.
9. Strain the milk into a saucepan.
10. In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks with caster sugar, then gradually whisk in little of the hot, strained milk.
11. Pour egg mixture into the saucepan.
12. Stir continuously over a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes until the custard thickens to coat the back of the spoon.
13. Strain custard into a large bowl and continue stirring for 2 minutes. If custard scrabbles, pour it immediately into a blender or food processor and blend for 30seconds
14. Leave custard to cool, then chill in refrigerator.
15. For the caramel, in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine 50ml of water and the sugar, stirring to dissolve sugar.
16. Place pan on a medium flame and boil without stirring, until the sugar has formed a syrup.
17. Boil until syrup turns golden-brown.
18. Remove pan from flame and immediately and place in a basin of cold water.
19. Pour chilled custard into a large glass serving bowl or into individual glass bowls.
20. Carefully float the poached meringues on top of custard
21. Drizzle caramel over the poached meringues.
22. Serve chilled.
Calories 529 Calories from Fat 96
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g16.4%
Saturated Fat 4.9 g24.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 262.8 mg87.6%
Sodium 137.8 mg5.7%
Total Carbohydrates 95 g31.8%
Dietary Fiber 0.66 g2.6%
Sugars 94.1 g
Protein 13 g25.1%
Vitamin A 9% Vitamin C
Calcium 21.8% Iron 3.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet