Spinach Souffle Roll
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Red pepper||1 Dash|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Shredded cheddar cheese||3 Ounce (3 Cup)|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Eggs||7 , separated|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Parmesan cheese||1 Tablespoon, grated|
|Spinach mushroom filling||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cheddar cheese||4 Ounce, cut|
1) Preheat oven at 350°.
2) Use a 15- x 10- x 1-inch jellyroll pan to grease the bottom and sides with vegetable oil.
3) Take large sheet of wax paper to line the pan by leaving extra part beyond the edge of pan.
4) Use vegetable oil to grease wax paper.
5) In a bowl, add flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt and red pepper to combine well.
6) In a large, heavy saucepan add butter to melt over low heat.
7) Gradually sprinkle flour mixture into the saucepan and keep stirring for at least a minute with a wire whisk to make it smooth.
8) Slowly pour in milk and cook over medium heat, by continuous whisking until it becomes very thick and the mixture gets separated from the pan.
9) Remove the saucepan from heat. Add 3/4 cup Cheddar and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese to beat in.
10) In a large bowl, place egg yolks and beat at high speed using an electric mixer until it becomes thick and lemon colored.
11) Slowly add this into ¼ of hot cheese mixture. Add the remaining cheese mixture and beat thoroughly.
12) In another bowl, place egg whites (at room temperature) and cream of tartar to beat at high speed of electric mixer until the mixture becomes foamy.
13) Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and beat until stiff peaks form.
14) Pour in 1/3 of egg whites into cheese mixture to beat well. Stir in the remaining egg whites.
15) Use the jellyroll pan to pour the cheese mixture and spread evenly.
16) Place the pan on the center rack of oven and bake for 15 minutes or until puffed and firm to the touch. Be careful not to overcook.
17) With a metal spatula, loosen the soufflé edges. Place the pan on wire rack without removing the soufflé.
18) Use a slightly damp and smooth surface to place 2 lengths of waxed paper. Overlap the nearest edge on the second sheet.
19) Sprinkle the waxed paper with Parmesan Cheese.
20) Carefully place the soufflé by inverting from the jellyroll pan over the waxed paper by keeping the long side nearest you.
21) Slowly remove the pan and take off the waxed paper from soufflé.
22) Spread the Spinach-Mushroom Filling over the surface till the edges.
23) Start rolling the soufflé from the long side by using the support of the waxed paper.
24) Gently smooth the surface and shape the roll, with your hands.
25) Use a large ovenproof platter or cookie sheet, to slide the roll by keeping the seam side down.
26) Top the roll with cheese slices.
27) Place the cookie sheet inside the broiler at 3 inches distance.
28) Broil the roll till the cheese melts and gets light brown.
29) Garnish the roll with fresh spinach just before serving.