Banana Crepe Souffles with Banana Ice Cream
|Bananas||4 , peeled, cut into chunks and frozen until solid in a bag or on a tray|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Buttermilk||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
|Plain flour||4 1⁄2 Ounce (125 Gram)|
|Butter||1 Ounce, melted (25 Gram)|
|Milk/300 milk||300 Milliliter|
|Bananas||2 , peeled and thinly sliced on the diagonal|
|Custard||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Chartreuse liqueur||2 Tablespoon|
|Icing sugar||3 Tablespoon|
|Butter||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Castor sugar||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Bananas||4 , peeled and halved lengthways|
1) Pre-heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas mark 6.
1) Making the ice cream: In a food processor, add in the frozen banana chunks, vanilla, sugar and half the buttermilk. Spin it for about for 10 to 15 seconds. As the processor is spinning, slowly pour in rest of the buttermilk. Blend till the mixture is smooth and creamy. Freeze till it is needed.
2) Making the crepe souffles: In a bowl, add the flour, egg, 1 teaspoon of the melted butter and slowly pour in the milk. Whisk to form a smooth batter. Set the batter aside for about 1 hour.
3) In a frying pan, add a little melted butter and 3 to 4 banana slices. Stir fry for about 10 seconds.
4) Now, pour in a ladleful of the batter and rotate the pan to coat the batter evenly to the bottom of the pan. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes and then turn over carefully. Cook the crepe for a minute more.
5) Remove the crepes from the pan and keep them on a greaseproof sheet. Makes some more crepes the exact same way till all the batter is used. You should be able to make about four crepes.
6) In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites till soft peaks form. Add the custard, Chartreuse liqueur and 2 tablespoons of icing sugar and mix well to form a nice to form a souffle mix.
7) On a baking tray lined with non-stick baking sheets, place the crepes. Spoon in equal amounts of the souffle mixture onto the center of each crepe. Fold the crepe circles to form semi-circles, covering the filling.
8) Sieve remaining icing sugar over the crepes and bake for about 8 to 10 minutes till they turn golden and puffed up.
9) As the crepes are baking, remove the ice cream from the fridge to soften slightly.
10) Making the sautéed bananas : In a frying pan, heat the butter. Then add the sugar and stir until both have melted and dissolved. Put in the bananas and brown each side for about 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown all over.
11) Keep a souffle crepe in the center of each plate. Place 2 sautéed banana halves over and around the crepe. Spoon in a big dollop ice cream on top and serve.
Calories 861 Calories from Fat 259
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 29 g45%
Saturated Fat 15.2 g75.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 126.1 mg42%
Sodium 210.4 mg8.8%
Total Carbohydrates 141 g47.1%
Dietary Fiber 8.6 g34.3%
Sugars 77.1 g
Protein 16 g32.1%
Vitamin A 17.2% Vitamin C 43.5%
Calcium 16.9% Iron 6.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet