French Onion Soup
|Onion||6 Cup (96 tbs), finely diced|
|Beef stock||3 Quart|
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sherry||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Beurre manie||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Salt & pepper||To Taste|
|Croutons/Crostini||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Swiss cheese slices||6 (or more as needed)|
|Provolone cheese slices||6 (or more as needed)|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), grated|
1. In a large pan, heat oil and add the onions.
2. Add in the butter and cook stirring. Add in the thyme, salt and pepper, mix well.
3. Let the onions sweat and caramelize.
4. Add beurre maine, stir until melted. Pour in the sherry and allow to cook a bit.
5. Pour in the beef stock and bring it to a boil.
6. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
7. Check and adjust the seasoning.
8. Ladle into the soup bowls and garnish with crostini or croutons, provolone cheese slices, swiss cheese slices and some grated parmesan cheese.
9. Broil until the cheese starts bubbling.
10. Serve hot.
Calories 619 Calories from Fat 382
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 43 g66.6%
Saturated Fat 26.5 g132.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 112.8 mg37.6%
Sodium 2067.7 mg86.2%
Total Carbohydrates 30 g10.1%
Dietary Fiber 3.3 g13.3%
Sugars 9.6 g
Protein 30 g59.4%
Vitamin A 20.4% Vitamin C 21.5%
Calcium 66.5% Iron 13.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet