Twice Baked Cheese Souffle
|Milk||8 Fluid Ounce (225 Milliliter)|
|Onion||1 Small, finely chopped|
|Ground nutmeg||1 Pinch|
|Butter||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 Gram)|
|English mustard powder||1 Pinch|
|Plain flour||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 Gram)|
|Vegetarian cheddar cheese||5 1⁄2 Ounce, grated (Mature Farmhouse, 150 Gram)|
|Eggs||3 Medium, separated (Plus 1 Extra Egg White)|
|Chopped mixed herbs||2 Tablespoon (You May Use Basil, Mint And Chives)|
|Cherry tomatoes||8 Ounce, halved (225 Gram)|
|Basil leaves||1 1⁄4 Bunch (125 gm) (Large Bunch)|
|Single cream||9 Fluid Ounce (250 Milliliter)|
1. Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Lightly grease 6 x 175ml ramekins. Heat the milk in a pan with the onion and nutmeg until just boiling. Strain into a jug, then discard onion.
2. Melt butter in a pan, add the mustard powder and the flour, then cook for 1 min, stirring occasionally. Gradually add the strained milk, stirring continuously. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 1 min until thick and glossy. Add two-thirds of the cheese and stir until melted. Season to taste. Allow the sauce to cool slightly, then beat in egg yolks.
3. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then, using a large metal spoon, carefully fold into the souffle base with the chopped herbs. Divide the mixture between the prepared ramekins and place them in a large roasting tin. Pour boiling water into the roasting tin so it comes halfway up the sides of the ramekins. The dishes should be no more than two-thirds full with the mixture. Bake for 15-20 mins until risen, golden and set.
4. Allow the souffles to cool (they will sink slightly). Loosen from the ramekins and turn out on to a tray. At this stage they can be refrigerated overnight before re-baking.
5. Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Butter 6 individual ovenproof serving dishes and place the souffles upside down in the dishes. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese, cherry tomatoes and basil leaves, pour over the cream, then bake for 14-15 mins until golden. Serve immediately.
Calories 478 Calories from Fat 316
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 34 g52.5%
Saturated Fat 18.5 g92.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 212.3 mg70.8%
Sodium 336.4 mg14%
Total Carbohydrates 28 g9.3%
Dietary Fiber 3.3 g13.1%
Sugars 6.8 g
Protein 11 g22.6%
Vitamin A 60.5% Vitamin C 30.7%
Calcium 22.7% Iron 10.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet