French Beef Casserole
|Round steak||4 Pound, fat removed (2 Kilogram)|
|Veal knuckle||2 , cut in to chunks|
|Bacon fat||4 Ounce (125 Grams)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), slivered|
|Dry red wine||125 Milliliter (1/2 Cup)|
|Onions||4 , sliced|
|Dried mixed herbs||1 Teaspoon|
|Grated orange rind||1 Teaspoon|
|Tomatoes||2 Large, sliced|
|Butter/Table margarine||2 Tablespoon|
1. Cut incisions all over the piece of beef and push into these bacon fat and garlic slivers. Tie with string, rub with salt and pepper.
2. Melt some bacon fat, butter or good beef dripping in a heavy casserole with a very well-fitting lid. Brown the meat and pour off excess fat and swill dish gently with a little red wine to take up the meat flavor.
3. Replace meat in the casserole and surround with pieces of veal knuckle, cover with sliced onion, carrots.
4. Season with salt and pepper if needed and add the other seasonings, orange rind and sliced tomatoes. .
5. Cover all the ingredients with half wine and half water and tightly seal the casserole. Perhaps some aluminum foil would help.
6. Cook either very slowly on top of the stove or place on the low shelf of the oven and cook for 7 or 8 hours at 300°F (150°C).
7. Cool then chill in refrigerator until beef sets in the jelly.