|Icing sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (For Dusting)|
|White ready to roll icing||2 1⁄2 Pound (1.25 Kilogram)|
|10 inch madeira cake||1 (Round Bought / Homemade)|
|Buttercream||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Double Cream)|
|Smooth raspberry jam/Strawberry jam||4 Tablespoon|
|Silver food color||3 Drop|
|Gold food color||3 Drop|
|10 inch madeira cake||1 (Brought / Homemade)|
|Buttercream||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Double Quantity)|
1. Dust your work surface with icing sugar and thinly roll out 100 g (3 1/2 oz) of the icing. Use the larger cutter to cut out plenty of star shapes. Cut out the centre of each star with the small cutter and transfer the stars to a lined baking sheet. Leave for several hours or overnight to harden.
2. Cut out a circle of paper, 25 cm (10 inches) across, and fold it in half. Fold the halved paper into 3 to make a wedge 6 sheets thick. Make a pencil mark 5 cm (2 inches) from the point and an equal distance from the sides. Draw a line from each outer corner to the pencil mark. Cut along the lines and open out the paper into a star. Rest the star over the cake and use it as a template for cutting out a star shape. Cut the cake in half horizontally and sandwich with half the buttercream and all the jam. Spread the remaining buttercream over the top and sides of the cake.
4. Thinly roll out a further 275 g (9 oz) of the icing and use it to cover the cake board, trimming off and reserving the excess around the base. Lift the cake on to the board. Roll out half the remaining icing and cut out long strips, each the depth of the cake. Use these to cover the sides of the cake, pushing the strips well into the corners and emphasizing the star shape by pinching the icing into points. Work in manageable strips of icing.
6. Roll out the remaining icing to a circle, 25 cm (10 inches) across, and use the paper template to cut out a star. Dampen the top edges of the icing around the sides and lift the star into position on the cake, pressing the icing together around the edges.
7. Press the silver and gold balls into the top and sides of the cake and over the board. If necessary, dampen the icing with a fine brush to help them stick. Paint the star shapes and arrange them on the cake. Secure the ribbon around the edge of the cake board.