|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Anise seed||1 Teaspoon|
|Honey||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||4 1⁄2 Cup (72 tbs)|
|Candied orange peel||3 Tablespoon, chopped|
1. Bring the water with the anise seed to a boil and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to moderate (350° F.).
3. Add the honey and sugar to the water and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Add the soda.
4. Sift together the flour, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add the citron and orange peel and mix. Add the honey mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until smooth.
5. Turn the mixture into two 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 by 2 3/4-inch greased loaf pans and bake about one hour.