|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs), scalded|
|Cake compressed yeast||1|
|Lukewarm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sifted flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cream/Evaporated milk||3 Tablespoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Tablespoon (Extra For Greasing)|
1. Start this baking early in the morning. Sprinkle the bread board lightly with flour.
2. Add the 1 tablespoon of butter or margarine, sugar and salt to the milk and let it cool to lukewarm.
3. Soften the yeast in the water and add to the cooled milk. Add the flour and beat until smooth.
4. Turn dough out onto the board and knead with your hands until the dough is smooth and elastic. Return the dough to the mixing bowl, cover with a clean cloth, and let it rise in a warm, not hot, place until doubled in bulk, about 2 1/2 hours. Then chill in the refrigerator 2 or 3 hours.
5. Turn the chilled dough out onto the floured board, pat lightly and roll into a rectangular sheet, 1/4-inch thick. Spread it with 1/4 cup of creamed butter or margarine and fold the sheet of dough from the ends toward the center, making 3 layers. Turn 3/4-way round, pat lightly, roll out as before and again spread with 1/2 cup of creamed butter or margarine. Repeat the process 2 more times. Wrap the dough in waxed paper and place in the refrigerator to chill 2 hours or longer.
6. Start oven, set at Moderately Hot, 400° F. Grease a baking sheet.
7. Divide the dough in 2 parts. Roll out half at a time into rectangular sheet 15 by 10 inches and about 1/2-inch thick. Cut it in triangles. Roll up each triangle, beginning on the long side. Curve each roll in a crescent form. Place on the baking sheet and cover with waxed paper. Chill in the refrigerator 20 minutes.
8. Brush each crescent with cream or evaporated milk. Bake 15 minutes, reduce heat to Moderate, 350° F., and continue baking 15 minutes longer.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3235 Calories from Fat 1823
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 207 g318.4%
Saturated Fat 129.6 g648%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 541.8 mg180.6%
Sodium 1666.5 mg69.4%
Total Carbohydrates 303 g101.2%
Dietary Fiber 9.8 g39.3%
Sugars 43.7 g
Protein 45 g89.2%
Vitamin A 126.2% Vitamin C 0.03%
Calcium 46.1% Iron 84.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet