Cheese Ham Souffle
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Shredded cheddar cheese||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Ground cooked ham||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Eggs||3 , separated|
|Cayenne pepper||To Taste|
1. Preheat oven to moderate (375° F.).
2. In a saucepan melt the butter, add the flour and stir with a wire whisk until blended. Meanwhile, bring the milk to a boil and add all at once to the butter-flour mixture, stirring vigorously with the whisk. Stir in the cheese and ham.
3. When the cheese has melted, add a little of the hot mixture to the beaten egg yolks, mix and return slowly to the saucepan, stirring constantly. Let cool a little. Season with salt, paprika and cayenne.
4. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold them lightly but thoroughly into the cheese mixture.
5. Pour the mixture into a seven-inch souffle dish that may be buttered or not, as desired. (Some say souffles rise better if they have an ungreased surface to cling to on their way up.)
6. Bake until fairly firm, or about thirty to forty-five minutes.