|Chard||1 Bunch (100 gm) (1 Bundle)|
|Smoked bacon||5 Ounce (150 Gram)|
|Grated gruyere cheese||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Butter||3⁄4 Ounce (20 Gram)|
|For the white sauce (bechamel):|
|Butter||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Flour||1 1⁄4 Ounce (30 Gram)|
|Milk||9 Fluid Ounce (240 Milliliter)|
|Double cream||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Grated nutmeg||1 Pinch|
1. Preheat the oven to 140°C (275°F; gas mark 1).
2. Clean and prepare the chard by removing the threads and wash under running water. Cook for 20 minutes in salted water.
3. Prepare the white sauce: melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat, and add the flour, stirring. Do not let it colour. Add the cold milk a little at a time, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon and cook for 15 minutes. Season, add the nutmeg and double cream. Stir well and put aside.
4. Dice the bacon, having removed the rind. Melt 10 g (1/2 oz) butter in a frying pan over a medium heat, and fry the bacon for 10 minutes.
5. When the chard is cooked, drain well and chop roughly.
6. Separate the eggs. Beat the whites until stiff.
7. Mix the chard into the egg yolks, diced bacon, cheese and bechamel. Season. Gently fold in the egg whites.
8. Butter a souffle dish or mould. Turn the chard mixture into it and cook in the oven for 15 minutes at 140°C, then turn the heat up to 200°C (400°F; gas mark 6) and cook for a further 10 minutes. Serve at once.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1652 Calories from Fat 1202
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 136 g209.8%
Saturated Fat 68.6 g343.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1098.5 mg366.2%
Sodium 1763.9 mg73.5%
Total Carbohydrates 47 g15.7%
Dietary Fiber 2.7 g10.9%
Sugars 17 g
Protein 69 g137.8%
Vitamin A 186.2% Vitamin C 50%
Calcium 48.3% Iron 40.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet