Sticky Glazed Spatchcock Poussin
|Poussin||3 Pound (2 Whole, 700 Gram / 1 1/2 Pound Each)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Kumquats||4 , thinly sliced|
|Salad leaves||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Assorted, For Serving)|
|Crusty bread/New potatoes||1 (For Serving)|
|Lemon||1 Small, zest finely grated|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Dry sherry||1 Tablespoon|
|Clear honey||2 Tablespoon|
|Dark soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Whole grain mustard||2 Tablespoon|
|Tomato puree||1 Teaspoon|
|Chinese five spice powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat the grill just before cooking. Place one of the poussins breast-side down on a board. Using poultry shears, cut down one side of the backbone. Cut down the other side of the backbone. Remove the bone.
2. Open out the poussin and press down hard on the breast bone with the heel of your hand to break it and to flatten the poussin.
3. Thread two skewers crosswise through the bird to keep it flat, ensuring that each skewer goes through a wing and out through the leg on the opposite side. Repeat with the other bird. Season both sides of the bird with salt and pepper.
4. To make the glaze, mix together the lemon zest and juice, sherry, honey, soy sauce, mustard, tomato puree and Chinese five-spice powder and use to brush all over the poussins.
5. Place the poussins skin-side down on a grill rack and grill under a medium heat for 15 minutes, brushing halfway through with more glaze.
6. Turn the poussins over and grill for 10 minutes. Brush again with glaze and arrange the kumquat slices on top. Grill for a further 15 minutes until well-browned and cooked through. If they start to brown too quickly, turn down the grill a little.
7. Remove the skewers and cut each poussin in half along the breastbone. Serve immediately with the salad, crusty bread or new potatoes.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2922 Calories from Fat 1652
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 190 g292.2%
Saturated Fat 57.5 g287.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1080.1 mg360%
Sodium 4191.9 mg174.7%
Total Carbohydrates 74 g24.5%
Dietary Fiber 8.9 g35.4%
Sugars 37.3 g
Protein 235 g470.5%
Vitamin A 21.9% Vitamin C 129.5%
Calcium 9.3% Iron 15.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet