|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cheddar cheese||1⁄2 Pound, diced or shredded|
|Eggs||4 , separated|
Oven technique: This souffle may be baked in a Slow oven, 250° to 300° F. increase the heat every 10 minutes until the oven is Moderate, 325° F.
Bake until the souffle is firm on top 25 to 55 minutes, again depending on shape and size of dish.
The souffle should be risen, browned, firm on top when you take it from the oven to the table.
1. The oven should be set and heat turned on when you begin to mix the souffle.
2. Melt the butter or margarine in a saucepan; stir the flour smoothly in; add the milk slowly, stirring all the time; add the salt.
3. When smooth and thickened, add the cheese, slowly stirring it in until all is melted.
4. Remove from the heat; add the beaten yolks. Stir until the yolks thicken into the sauce. Add the cayenne. Let the sauce cool.
5. Whip the egg whites stiff; fold into the cheese mixture.
6. Pour into an ungreased 1 1/2-quart or 2-quart baking dish depending on shape; an oval 2-quart dish makes a handsome souffle. Bake in a Slow oven about 40 minutes.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1824 Calories from Fat 1231
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 139 g214.5%
Saturated Fat 81.5 g407.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1203.4 mg401.1%
Sodium 3238.5 mg134.9%
Total Carbohydrates 51 g17%
Dietary Fiber 1.4 g5.5%
Sugars 14.8 g
Protein 94 g188%
Vitamin A 97.2% Vitamin C 0.8%
Calcium 201.6% Iron 41.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet