|Courgettes||2 , trimmed|
|Aubergine||1 Small, trimmed|
|Onion||1 , peeled|
|Button mushrooms||2 Ounce, wiped and halved or quartered (50 Grams)|
|Tomato juice||7 Fluid Ounce (200 Milliliter)|
|Freshly chopped basil||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. Deseed the peppers, remove the membrane with a small sharp knife and cut into small dice. Thickly slice the courgettes and cut the aubergine into small dice. Slice the onion into rings.
2. Place the tomatoes in boiling water until their skins begin to peel away.
3. Remove the skins from the tomatoes, cut into quarters and remove the seeds.
4. Place all the vegetables in a saucepan with the tomato juice and basil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
6. Remove the vegetables with a slotted spoon and arrange in a serving dish.
7. Bring the liquid in the pan to the boil and boil for 20 seconds until it is slightly thickened. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
8. Pass the sauce through a sieve to remove some of the seeds and pour over the vegetables. Serve the ratatouille hot or cold.