Duck A L'Orange
|Ducks||5 Pound (Two 2.5 Kilogram)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Orange sauce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vinegar||2 Fluid Ounce (60 Milliliter)|
|Duck stock||12 Fluid Ounce (375 Milliliter)|
|Cornflour||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon, blended|
|Orange rind||2 , shredded|
|Port||4 Fluid Ounce (125 Milliliter)|
|Orange flavored liqueur||2 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat oven to 220°C / 425°F / Gas 7. Remove excess fat from ducks, place orange rind into cavities and season to taste. Truss and place, breast-side-up, in a baking dish.
2. Bake for 20 minutes or until ducks brown and release some fat. Pour off fat. Reduce oven temperature to 190°C / 375°F / Gas 5 and roast for 1 hour or until cooked.
3. To make sauce, stir sugar and vinegar in a saucepan over high heat to make a thick syrup. Remove from heat and gradually stir in stock. Return to heat and bring to the boil. Add cornflour mixture and orange rind and simmer until sauce thickens.
4. Keep ducks warm. Remove fat from baking dish, leaving juices in the bottom. Place dish over moderate heat, stir in port and simmer until reduced by half. Strain juices into orange sauce, bring to simmering and stir in liqueur. Season to taste, add butter and stir until melted.
5. Cut birds into serving portions, arrange on plates and glaze with some of the sauce.
Calories 1432 Calories from Fat 805
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 89 g137.5%
Saturated Fat 30.5 g152.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 461.6 mg153.9%
Sodium 780.1 mg32.5%
Total Carbohydrates 44 g14.8%
Dietary Fiber 1.7 g6.8%
Sugars 33.6 g
Protein 101 g201.7%
Vitamin A 13.1% Vitamin C 83.2%
Calcium 6.3% Iron 133.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet