Cassoulet For A Crowd
|Frozen turkey||1 , frozen|
|Water||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Grated carrot||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Onions||2 Large, chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), sliced|
|Thyme leaf||1 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Dried lima beans||1 Pound (1 Bag Large Variety)|
1. Place the turkey with giblets and hocks in a kettle or Dutch oven. Add water, carrot, onion and salt.
2. Tie the garlic, bay leaves, thyme and parsley sprigs in a piece of cheesecloth. Push under liquid.
3. Bring slowly to boiling; reduce heat; cover. Simmer for 2 hours, or until the turkey is tender. Discard herb bag. Place meats, giblets and liquid in one or two large bowls; chill. (Overnight is best.)
4. Remove meats and giblets from liquid; reserve the liquid. Remove skin, fat and bones from turkey and hocks; cut meats and giblets into small pieces; refrigerate.
5. Pick over beans; combine with the reserved liquid plus water to measure 12 cups in a kettle; bring to boiling and boil for 2 minutes; cover and remove from the heat; let stand 1 hour.
6. Bring beans to boiling again; reduce heat; cover. Simmer for 2 hours, or until beans are tender. Add meats and giblets; toss to mix. Spoon into a 16-cup baking dish or two 8-cup baking dishes.
7. Bake in moderate oven (350°) for 1 1/2 hours, or until bubbly in center. Sprinkle with chopped parsley, if you wish.