French Quarter Red Beans and Rice
|Dried red beans||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||6 1⁄2 Cup (104 tbs)|
|Chopped onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Diced celery||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (Including Tops And Leaves)|
|Diced green bell pepper||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sliced carrots||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Black forest ham/Baked virginia ham||4 Ounce, cooked|
|Dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), minced|
|Green hot sauce||3 Teaspoon|
|Uncooked white rice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
1. In large bowl combine beans in enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Let stand at cool room temperature -overnight. Drain.
2. In large Dutch oven or saucepan combine drained beans, 6 cups water, onion, celery, pepper, carrot, ham, thyme, and garlic. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 3 hours. Add more water as necessary if mixture begins to look dry.
3. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup water, the hot sauce, and salt. Simmer 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions.
5. Serve beans over hot rice.
Calories 638 Calories from Fat 18
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2 g3.1%
Saturated Fat 0.46 g2.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 12.5 mg4.2%
Sodium 776.8 mg32.4%
Total Carbohydrates 125 g41.5%
Dietary Fiber 18.2 g73%
Sugars 6.5 g
Protein 33 g66.9%
Vitamin A 105.7% Vitamin C 41.7%
Calcium 15.9% Iron 49.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet